SWEET & SAVORY RICE

I'm the kind of person who likes lots of "extra stuff" in my rice; Picky-Picky Hubby is not. He likes plain white rice...period!! So, when I created this dish, I designed it for ME...rice, apples, golden raisins, toasted pecans...yum. You can imagine my shock when Hubby (with cheeks packed full) exclaimed "this is excellent!!" I almost fell off of my chair!!
.
2 ¼ cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup raw white rice
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 large cooking apple
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup golden raisins
½ cup chopped toasted pecans
.
Peel and chop the apple into small bite-size pieces. Place everything (except the pecans) in a medium size saucepan and bring it to a boil. Turn down the heat to a low simmer and put a tight fitting lid on the pan. Simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and quickly stir in the toasted pecans. Put the lid back on and let it sit for another five minutes.
.
That's it!! The dark brown sugar and fruit lend a mildly sweet flavor to the rice and the ground cumin gives the flavor a little depth. This is a great side dish for chicken, ham, etc. and it would make an excellent buffet dish since it stays warm and tastes great at room temperature. I hope you will try it.

NOTE: I first posted this about a year ago. Since then it has become one of our favorite side dishes for outdoor grilled meat, it seems to go with just about everything.

0 komentar:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

 
  • For Secret Recipe © 2012 | Designed by Rumah Dijual, in collaboration with Web Hosting , Blogger Templates and WP Themes